Our multidisciplinary team has deep industry knowledge which enables world-class legal advice on regulatory, environmental, tax, labor, customs, and contractual aspects. We know and understand the mining sector, its legal framework, its participants, its challenges and needs, and the authorities that regulate it, which allows us to accompany our clients in the decision-making process and the execution of projects efficiently and sustainably, becoming an ally of legal services in the development of operations.
We offer legal and strategic accompaniment in mining projects given our extensive proven experience in all aspects of the Mining sector, including the most emblematic and challenging projects in the history of the country. This allows us not only to provide strategic advice but also creative and sophisticated solutions.
We have extensive experience advising mining projects and performing due diligence of mining projects, covering regulatory and compliance issues in order to resolve issues related to the title to concessions, the management and fulfillment of contract obligations, and the procedures to be carried out before government authorities.
We are permanently called upon to advise clients on their day-to-day operations. In addition, if the client so requires, we can act as legal project managers of the client's project, organizing and solving complex problems in short periods of time and cost-efficiently. Additionally, as part of our advice, we offer evaluation to the legal framework, the identification of commercial opportunities, and the acquisition of mining projects, as well as stakes in companies in the sector.
We often work as co-counsel with leading international law firms advising clients in a variety of oil & gas matters, including cross-border acquisitions, project financings, capital markets transactions, as well as in the context of the resolution of disputes before international courts and arbitration panels.
- Matrix of Legal Framework.
- Matrix of Contractual Obligations.
- Advice on regulatory matters of the sector, including the analysis of international industry standards.
- Regulatory amendments and legal developments.
- Representation before trade and business associations.
- Preparation of files to request mining titles.
- Monitoring, management and control of Anna Minería
- Monitoring, management and control of mining titles via Mining Tracker
- Preparación de expedientes para solicitud de títulos mineros
- Seguimiento, gestión y control de Anna Minería
- Seguimiento, gestión y control de títulos mineros
- Negotiation, management and execution of:
- Mining Titles.
- Contracts for the acquisition, assignment, and relinquishment of interest participations in mining titles.
- Service contracts of the mining industry such as: drilling, mobilization and/or maintenance of equipment, seismic, procurement, Works of mining infrastructure, off sites, design of underground and open-pit mines.
- Due diligence of mining projects.
- Matrix of Legal risks and development of risk mitigation strategies.
- Manual of Periodic Information – Formal Obligations.
- Registry in the Single Registry for Mineral Marketers – RUCOM – before the mining authority.
- Advice on the mineral commercialization regime.
- Design of strategies to meet contractual obligations related to unauthorized mining operations in allocated areas.
- Advice and support to mining companies in the preparation and development of surveillance visits, as well as in the reply to surveillance reports.
- Corporate and tax structuring of the most efficient business vehicle to carry out activities in Colombia under the existing legal framework.
- Labor employment laws matters related to the hiring of staff for the execution of activities, including the immigration procedure and the outsourcing contracting schemes, temporary services of association employment cooperatives and independent contractors.
- Negotiation of instruments for the acquisition of projects, companies and assets in the mining sector, including cross-border acquisitions.
- Due diligence of mining properties and mining projects.
- Risk mitigation strategies associated with the activity, ownership, management and administration of mining contracts and assets, and the monitoring of procedures before government authorities.
- Obtaining and managing the environmental instruments necessary for the development of a sustainablele operation in line with the current legal framework.
- Management of the environmental obligations derived from the environmental authorizations and/or specific requirements of the environmental authorities.
- Design and development of compliance program (Fraud, AML/CFT, anti-bribery and anti-corruption).
- Advice on the strategy for acquiring real estate assets.
- Structuring of the acquisition of real estate assets.
- Title searches, including large-scale title searches with IT software developed internally by an allied company.
- Customs procedures for the importation of goods, assets and equipment required for the operation, as well as the implementation of customs regimes that provide efficiency to operations.
Over the years, we have been involved in the most relevant transactions that have taken place in the industry, including the acquisition of 20% of Drummond by Itochu Group, the sale of the Colombian interests in El Cerrejón Zona Norte, the sale of property and mining business of Argos Group, the acquisition of Acerías Paz del Río by Votorantim Metais, and the corporate finance of the Red Eagle Project, the financing of Red Eagle Mining, the investment of the global leader in the iron ore industry Fortescue Mi in Colombia, the acquisition by Newmont Goldcorp of two gold mining projects in Colombia and the acquisition by Cordoba Minerals of San Matías and El Alacran copper and gold deposits in Colombia.
Management of its interest participation in Continental Gold’s Buriticá project and advice in the execution of an option agreement with Miranda Gold and a non-brokered private placement for the Anzá gold mining project.
Drafting and review of its services agreements for the provision of drilling services to mining operations in Colombia.
Including the drafting and filing of concession agreement applications.
Due diligence and financing of Red Eagle, a mining gold project in Colombia.
Development of their mining projects.
Regarding project Buriticá of Continental Gold.
Assistance in the acquisition of 20% of the shareholding of Drummond.
Regulatory aspects of a corporate restructuring of the company and its assets in Colombia, the sale of some underground mining assets and the financing internalization of its operations.
Review, analysis and upgrade of its matrix of legal obligations related to its business and regulatory licenses required by Colombian authorities to work and develop its activities in the country.
Identification of business opportunities to develop mining activities in Colombia, providing advice on regulatory framework, updates in judicial decisions affecting the mining sector, and the developments of the action plan of the Colombian Government related to the mining sector.