Our Team of Customs and International Trade provides comprehensive advice to national and international companies in the different operations regarding foreign trade of goods or services. We provide assistance to national and international entities, public and private entities, in the planning of their cross-border operations, formulating operative and strategic alternatives for customs optimization based on the national regulation, applying and implementing the different international treaties ratified by Colombia.
We advise on customs procedures, administrative investigations and litigations before the different authorities. We carry out due diligence to analyze the foreign trade operations and we provide legal advice on current foreign trade mechanisms in projects and operations where applicable, such as Free-Trade Zones, Authorized Economic Operator, import-export mechanisms, drawbacks, International Distribution Warehouses, Permanent Customs Users (UAP), Highly Exporting Users (ALTEX), Customs Trusted Users, among others. We provide legal advice on the application of the different customs and taxation benefits that Colombia offers.
We advise and help our clients in the commercial investigations regarding trade remedies, including anti-dumping measures, safeguards and countervailing measures.
We design, structure and provide seminars and workshops on national customs and foreign exchange regulations and procedures related to the different foreign trade operations:
- Negotiation of prominent trade agreements for Colombia.
- Implementation of rules of origin in the trade of goods.
- Actions before relevant authorities.
- Training workshops and seminars on the operation and benefits of trade agreements.
- Agreements for the reciprocal promotion and protection of investments.
- Investment planning to obtain protection benefits.
- Controversies regarding the rules of promotion and protection of investments.
- Processes before relevant authorities.
- Management of requests and administrative procedures indicated by the relevant authorities.
- Customs planning of goods and services flow and transnational operations.
- Alternatives for the optimization of international trade operations.
- Dumping practices and trade defense measures.
- Compliance with technical rules and regulations of mandatory compliance.
- Customs valuation studies.
- Schemes of government programs for promoting foreign trade.
- Tariff Classification.
- Manuals and instructions on customs and international trade.
- Special regimes (Permanent Customs Users and Highly Exporting Users).
- Resolution of customs litigations.
- Structuring and application as Free-Trade zone.
- Application as Free-Trade Zone user in the different modalities.
Revision of the relevant documents for the import operations and review of its customs procedures in order to determine whether Astellas is complying with Colombian Customs regulations.
The legal advice on customs and international trade consisted of the general and specific requirements for the importation of goods into Colombia, as well as the review of customs mandates and legal advice on technical regulations for the importation of its products into Colombia.
The legal advice included the revision of the relevant documents to perform import operations, and preparation of documents to request the authorization as a Trusted User.
As part of the advice, the firm performed a due diligence procedure related with customs and free trade zones.