The Customs and International Trade team offers an unparalleled experience to its clients with the goal of achieving maximum optimization, efficiency, and security in their operations. Our team has extensive experience in the management of customs and foreign trade operations, project development and implementation of customs optimization mechanisms (Free Trade Zones, international logistics distribution centers, Plan Vallejo, International Trading Companies, AEO, among others), planning and execution of cross-border operations, as well as in representing our clients in trade defense investigations, judicial processes and sanctioning procedures initiated by the competent authorities.
- Customs valuation.
- Rules of origin.
- Tariff classification.
- Standards and technical regulations.
- Review of contracts related to foreign trade operations.
- Audits and due diligence on eventual contingencies.
- Review of qualifications, authorizations, customs clearances, and their policies.
- Structuring, planning and feasibility analysis of Free Trade Zone projects.
- Request for qualification as Free Trade Zone users.
- Processing of applications for the declaration, extension, expansion or reduction of Free Trade Zones.
- General advice on Free Trade Zone matters (operations between users, sanctioning regime, due diligence, and verification of compliance with commitments and obligations).
- Advice on the feasibility analysis and AEO qualification process.
- Diagnosis of compliance with the risk system of international supply chain and minimum requirements.
- Request for AEO authorization before the National Tax and Customs Directorate and assistance in the verification visits of compliance with minimum requirements.
- Evaluation and visits to business partners.
- Feasibility study for the implementation of a Special Importation-Exportation System as a customs optimization mechanism in any of its different types.
- Structuring and submission of the request for authorization to operate under the Special Importation- Exportation System.
- Implementation and administration of the mechanism.
- Preparation, submission, and follow-up on the application for authorization as a C.I.
- Advice and assistance in the preparation of reports of suspicious transactions detected.
- Support in the elaboration and presentation of import and export reports.
- Preparation of the Market Study to be included in the C.I. export plan.
- Enabling and structuring of operations, customs tax planning and advice on requirements and obligations.
- Submission and follow-up on the application for authorization as ILDC.
- Diagnosis in customs, foreign exchange and foreign trade matters in order to propose optimization alternatives in the operations of our clients, identify possible risks and propose action plans.
- Advice and/or representation in the handling of sanctioning procedures initiated by the competent authorities, customs judicial processes and trade defense investigations (safeguards, antidumping measures, and countervailing duties).
- Advice and representation of interested parties (domestic producers, importers, and exporters) in the framework of trade defense proceedings (antidumping, countervailing and safeguard measures).
- Feasibility studies for the implementation of trade defense measures.
- Advice on the regulatory framework of the World Trade Organization (WTO).
- Analysis and impact studies of international trade agreements.
- Assistance in the negotiation of international trade agreements.
- Advice on the application of rules of origin and attention in disputes.
- Proceedings before competent authorities.
- Compliance with standards and technical regulations.
- Customs optimization based on preferential tariffs.
- Compliance with sanitary and phytosanitary measures.
- Workshops, seminars and training on the application and benefits of trade agreements.
- Advice on Bilateral Investment Treaties (BITs).
- Investment planning for obtaining protection benefits.
- Advising on Investor - State dispute resolution.
- Business Impact Analysis (BIA) identifying the urgency of recovery of each of the company's operations.
- Identification and risk analysis of critical business operations.
- Support in the development of continuity system verification programs and organizational culture.
- Elaboration of foreign trade operations and supply chain manuals.
- Process diagramming of our clients' foreign trade operations, developing protocols, policies and assessments.
Revision of the relevant documents for the import operations and review of its customs procedures in order to determine whether Astellas is complying with Colombian Customs regulations.
The legal advice on customs and international trade consisted of the general and specific requirements for the importation of goods into Colombia, as well as the review of customs mandates and legal advice on technical regulations for the importation of its products into Colombia.
The legal advice included the revision of the relevant documents to perform import operations, and preparation of documents to request the authorization as a Trusted User.
As part of the advice, the firm performed a due diligence procedure related with customs and free trade zones.